6 Days Shira Route Trek – the Shira route is another path that approaches Kilimanjaro from the west. It is nearly identical to the Lemosho route; however, we highly recommend the Lemosho route over the Shira route due to the high altitude of Shira’s starting point. Climbers using Shira should be confident of their ability to acclimatize quickly. The minimum number of days required for this route is six days.
Day 1: Shira Gate – Shira 2 Camp
Elevation (metres): 3,600m to 3,840m – Distance: 10 km – Hiking Time: 4-5Hrs
Drive to Shira Gate for the start of your Kilimanjaro climb. After registering with the park authorities, hike through the rain forest on a winding trail up a ridge to the Shira 2 Camp. At lower elevations the trail can be muddy and slippery; gaiters and trekking poles are a good idea here.
Day 2: Shira 2 Camp – Lava Tower – Barranco Camp
Elevation (metres): 3840m to 4630m to 3950m – Distance: 10kms – Hiking Time: 6-8hrs
After breakfast, trek east on the Shira plateau for two hours before reaching the junction for the Machame route. As we continue, our direction changes to the South East towards the Lava Tower. Shortly after the tower, we come to the second junction which brings us up to the Arrow Glacier from here; we now descend to the Barranco Hut. Although you end the day at almost the same elevation as when you began, this day is very important for acclimatisation.
Day 3: Barranco Camp – Karanga Valley
Elevation (metres): 3950m to 4023m – Distance: 5kms – Hiking Time: 4-5hrs
After breakfast we leave Barranco camp and continue on a steep ridge passing to the great Barranco Wall, climb this imposing obstacle which turns out to be easier than it looks. You can now appreciate how beautiful Kilimanjaro is. Descend to the Karanga valley where you will set camp for the night.
Optional: Extra Day
- You can add an extra day to your trek by staying at Barranco Camp for two nights. Then, you will hike to the Karanga Valley Camp on Day 4, the Barafu Camp on Day 5, summit on Day 6, and finish your descent on Day 7. Adding this day will ease your effort, and amplify your acclimatization.
Day 4: Karanga Valley Camp – Barafu Camp
Elevation (metres): 4023m to 4645m – Distance: 4kms – Hiking Time: 4-5hrs
We continue our climb to the Barafu camp, hike east over the intervening ridges and valleys to join the Mweka route which will be your descent route. Here we make camp, rest and enjoy an early dinner before going to bed early in preparation for summit day.
Day 5: Barafu Camp – Uhuru Peak – Mweka Camp
Elevation (metres): 4645m to 5895m to 3090m
Distance and Hiking Time:
- Barafu Hut – Uhuru Peak (5 kms, 7-8 hrs)
- Decent to Mweka Hut (12 kms, 6-8 hrs)
Just after midnight, start the ascent through heavy scree towards Stella Point on the crater rim. This is the most mentally and physically challenging portion of the trek. At Stella Point (4,200m), you will stop for a short rest and will be rewarded with the most magnificent sunrise you are ever likely to experience. From here a further 50 minutes’ walk leads to Uhuru Peak, the summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro.
After a short time at the summit, start your descent to the Barafu camp for a rest and brunch before continuing with the descent to Mweka camp for your last dinner on the mountain and a well-earned rest.
Day 6: Mweka Camp – Mweka Gate
Elevation (metres): 3090m to 1640m – Distance: 10Kms – Hiking Time: 4-5hrs
After breakfast, continue the descent to the Mweka Park Gate. Each hiker will receive a well-earned certificate of achievement for the successful climb of Mt. Kilimanjaro. From the gate, continue another hour to Mweka Village. A vehicle will meet you at Mweka village to drive you back to your hotel in Moshi or Arusha. It is time for celebration!
- Kilimanjaro National Park Permit and Park fees
- Rescue fees (as required by national park)
- Hut or camping fees
- Certified, experienced and professional guides for all routes
- Salaries for all crew members (Guides, Porters, Cook)
- Tents, foam sleeping pads, cooking equipment, and eating utensils
- All meals while on the mountain
- 2 night hotel accommodation in Moshi Town (Bed & Breakfast)
- Transport from Moshi to starting point on mountain and return to Moshi
- Pick-up and drop-off at Kilimanjaro Airport
Price does not include:
- Visas and personal travel insurance
- Personal mountain gear
- Personal items and tips